This recipe is adapted from Healthy.Happy.Life.
– 1 – 16oz can garbanzo beans, drained/rinsed, half-mashed
– 1 – 16oz can cannellini beans, drained/rinsed, mashed
– 3 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
– 2 big handfuls shredded carrot
– 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/4 cup bread crumbs (to fold in) + 1 cup for coating the fritters
– 1 tsp honey
– 3-4 tbsp light coconut milk from a chilled can (the hard white part at the top) + a little liquid from the can for extra flavor!
– a few handfuls dried shredded coconut (unsweetened)
– salt and pepper, to taste
– cayenne pepper, to taste
– coconut oil, for frying
1. Chill the coconut milk in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the chickpea and cannellini beans, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, salt, pepper, and honey to a large bowl. Mash until the cannellini beans are all smashed and the chickpeas are half-smashed. Fold in the garlic, coconut, spinach, carrots, and the 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Add a couple dashes of cayenne pepper.
3. Mix until well-incorporated. For the bread crumb coating, season with salt, pepper, and ~1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
4. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a few spoonfuls of coconut oil. Form patties by hand, roll in the bread crumb coating, and add to the pan. Fry for about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a couple layers of paper towel to soak up the excess oil, and then move to a cookie sheet.
5. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
Serve warm with guacamole or sour cream. We enjoyed ours with Chalula hot sauce, a simple salad, our chilled herb zucchini soup, and thyme-infused strawberry spritzers! A fantastic summer meal.