These French macarons are charming, decadent, and pretty simple to make! We found the recipe in SELF magazine, and though neither of us are avid bakers, we knew we had to try these!
– 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, divided
– 1 cup almond flour
– 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
– 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
– 3 tbsp granulated sugar
– 1/2 tsp almond extract
– 1-2 drops red food coloring
– 1/2 small avocado
– 4 tbsp unsalted butter
-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/8 tsp salt
– 1-2 drops green food coloring
1. Heat oven to 375˚F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. In a food processor, process 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar with flour until combined (1-2 minutes).
2. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium-high until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar (we used a Splenda/sugar blend which didn’t quite give us the meringue we hoped. We recommend sticking with the real deal!) until soft peaks form. Add almond extract and red food coloring. Beat just until meringue peaks are firm and glossy, 3-8 minutes.
3. Sift sugar-flour mixture over meringue; gently combine.
4. Drop batter by tablespoons onto baking sheets, leaving 1 inch between each. Bang sheets down hard on counter to force out air bubbles; let sit 20 min. Place baking sheets in top and bottom third of oven; reduce to 300˚F. Bake until the macarons are golden on the bottom; 10-12 minutes. Remove from sheets; let cool on rack.
5. Process remaining 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, avocado, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, salt and green food coloring, if desired, until smooth.
6. Spread 1 tsp filling on half of the macarons; top with the remaining macarons.
7. Serve or wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
The original recipe said it would make 30 macarons, but we were only able to make 10. 😦 They also didn’t turn out as fluffy as expected. We think it was the Splenda/sugar blend substitution + lack of a sifter for the confectioners’ sugar. But the flavor was on point–these tasty morsels were gone within minutes once our friends arrived! We can’t wait to try another (hopefully more successful) batch, maybe with different flavor/color combos. Bon appétit!