Who doesn’t love brunch? We decided to do a healthy spin on the breakfast hash that’s just as hearty and satisfying as our favorite brunch spot version. Cozy up with a bowl of this simple and quick dish on your next lazy Sunday.
Ingredients (modified from Cooking Light; makes 4 servings):
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 medium red onion, vertically sliced
– a palmful of dried thyme
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
– 2 medium zucchini, cubed
– 1/4 cup water
– 4 oz kale, stemmed and chopped
– 3 cups fresh spinach
– salt and pepper, to taste
– 4 eggs
– your favorite hot sauce (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the thyme and garlic, and cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the sweet potatoes, zucchini, and water; cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in the kale and spinach, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes until the greens wilt.
3. Meanwhile, make the eggs to your preference. We went with over-easy–can’t go wrong with the runny yolk!
4. Top each serving with an egg and some hot sauce, if you’re feelin’ spicy. We also mixed in some sliced avocado on the fly.